Pre-Painted Building Products Can Enhance Interiors, Too.
By Jeff Alexander, National Coil Coating Association
When we think of pre-painted metal products for the construction industry, we often think of exterior uses like building panels and roofing. But pre-painted metal is found from floor to ceiling on the interiors of buildings, too. Sometimes, its use is subtle and becomes an integral part of the design, and other times, the metal itself is the focus of the design, with dramatic colours and shapes. Pre-painted metal can be found indoors throughout buildings, including:
- Interior Walls Pre-painted interior wall panels are available in a large number of differing profiles, including ribbed, insulated (foamed), composite and architectural shallow, flat styles. These panels are lightweight and are installed more quickly than traditional walls. They can also take on dramatic shapes with colours or laminates that create striking design elements.
- Ceilings Suspended ceiling-tile systems in offices, airports, official buildings and exhibition halls are often made with pre-painted metal. These ceilings are chosen for their light weight, high heat- and sound-insulation qualities, durability and decorative appearance.
- Surfacing Splashbacks, decorative wainscoting and column surrounds are often made of pre-painted metal. Durable, pre-painted metal with good abrasion-resistant coatings hold up under heavy commercial use, providing protection and good looks for many years.
- Interior Doors Most all-metal door manufacturers today choose pre-painted metal for its durability, ease of manufacturing, and colour and texture options (such as wood grain). The pre-painted metal can outlast other materials such as wood, and the coating process provides many environmental benefits for manufacturers.
- Windows Window frames and casings can be made with pre-painted metal. Pre-painted metal makes it more economical for manufacturers to provide colour variety and eliminates environmental compliance issues related to painting. The coating is bonded so tightly, the metal can endure the sharp bends required to make window parts. Plus, metal frames often outlast wooden frames.
- Lighting Fixtures Manufacturers use this pre-painted metal to fabricate lighting fixtures such as recessed lighting, housing and trim, as well as fluorescent ceiling fixtures. Highly reflective coatings are applied to light-gauge metal with the coil coating process.
- Cabinetry Manufacturers of industrial and residential cabinets use metal that has been painted by a coil coater because of the combination of great looks and hassle-free maintenance. Decorative coatings (such as bold colours, the look of stainless steel, wood patterns, faux patinas and more) are applied to the metal to provide an attractive appearance. Coatings also provide functional advantages, including corrosion resistance.
Pre-painted metal is a big part of buildings, both inside and out. Manufacturers of products for the construction industry have long reaped the benefits of cleaning, treating and painting metal with the coil coating process prior to fabrication. Pre-painted metal is also used for appliances, HVAC and more. You could say that pre-painted metal is on the inside of the construction industry! Learn more about applications and cost savings possible with pre-painted metal at www.coilcoating.org.